Growth Through Patience - by Milo Briscoe

But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, Galatians 5:22 NLT

One area I recognize I need development (spiritual growth) in is patience. My wife and mother can attest to that. It’s an area the Lord has been working with me on for a while. I know I’ve been a difficult student. God’s patience with me is a good example for me.

The scripture says the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit. As I meditated on that, I asked the Lord “Why am I having such a challenging time with patience”? He showed me a couple of things; it was learned behavior and I am comfortable with it. I learned it as a child being around an impatient person and as the years went by, I got comfortable with it. Even now, I’ll catch myself in that moment of impatience and notice how easily it pops up.

It’s amazing how God will use the very area we’re struggling in, to produce growth. For example, when I’m behind someone driving slowly and I start to get impatient, then another slow driver immediately gets in front of me, and I sense God’s presence. Then a wave of thoughts starts coming. Why are you rushing? Is it that important? This is causing stress. This refocuses me and allows me to hear God clearer.

Growth takes a willingness to learn something new and going through the uncomfortableness of the process. It takes being intentional, (that’s one of the words my wife likes to use). I’m learning, if I yield to the move of God, and commit to the process, the growth will take place.

Prayer: Heavenly Father, help me to be patient in the process. Knowing that the stretching will produce spiritual growth in me.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God’s Greatest Gift by Alicia Briscoe

Don’t Quit, Reap Your Harvest! – by Alicia Briscoe

A Generous Mindset by Milo Briscoe