Spiritual Growth – Right or Wrong? by Alicia Briscoe

 For I have the desire to do what is right, but not the ability to carry it out. For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I keep on doing. - Romans 7:18b-19

Every day we are face with the choice of doing right or wrong in life. It is no getting around the fact that we often make the wrong choices. We justify our choices based on what we believe to be true or what we believe best in the moment. Often, we take for granted that God knows our heart. The truth of the matter is that that is true. Therefore, when you deliberately do what is wrong and know it, God knows it too. He may not come in and put the hammer down so to speak. But beware of the changes in and around you.

In the scriptures above Paul is merely telling the facts that we all face, which is the threat of practicing or engaging in sin is always within us. Also, that the ability to do what’s right is not always so easy in our own strength. But God said, “we can do all things through Christ which strengthens us.” (Philippians 4:13)

I am reminded of when me and my husband began courting one another. During that time, my husband was still legally married but separated. My spiritual dad/pastor caught wind of this information and called us to his office. He shared with us what we were doing was wrong and what we needed to get it right. He also gave us guidance and instructions. Although we were not thrilled, we knew we had to do what was right. It was not easy for either of us, but it began a foundation in us that we still apply.

Remember doing the wrong thing leads to sin. Sin cost more than you want to pay; take you further than you want to go; and keep you longer than you want to stay. Not to mention, it delays God’s best for you. I encourage you to lean into God, His word, and those people God placed in your life when you are faced with the choice of doing right or wrong.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God’s Greatest Gift by Alicia Briscoe

Attitude of Gratitude by Alicia Briscoe

Don’t Quit, Reap Your Harvest! – by Alicia Briscoe