An Encounter Can Change Everything by Alicia Briscoe

Meanwhile, Saul was still breathing out murderous threats against the Lord’s disciples. He went to the high priest and asked him for letters to the synagogues in Damascus, so that if he found any there who belonged to the Way, whether men or women, he might take them as prisoners to Jerusalem. As he neared Damascus on his journey, suddenly a light from heaven flashed around him. He fell to the ground and heard a voice say to him, “Saul, Saul, why do you persecute me?” “Who are you, Lord?” Saul asked. “I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting,” he replied. “Now get up and go into the city, and you will be told what you must do.” The men traveling with Saul stood there speechless; they heard the sound but did not see anyone. Saul got up from the ground, but when he opened his eyes, he could see nothing. So, they led him by the hand into Damascus. For three days he was blind and did not eat or drink anything. Acts 9:1-9

This is an amazing story of apostle Paul, previously known as Saul. Paul is just like us, zealous, and passionate about what he believed. So much so that he was willing to do whatever was necessary to prove his loyalty to his beliefs. According to Acts 8:3, he began destroying people because they profess to be Christians. Let’s be honest, when people don’t agree with us or do something we don’t agree with we begin to destroy them with our words, actions, and attitude. Some are known to do whatever is necessary that may result in permanent damage like mental or physical death.

 

After an encounter Saul became Paul, he was converted, changed, and became new. There are some lessons we can glean from this amazing story. One is that the Grace of God transformed Saul into Paul. Saul was persecuting Christians. Paul was one the greatest heroes to Christians and still is today. Paul’s journey to Damascus changed his mindset, his actions, and his attitude from destroying Christians to developing them through his experience and encounter.

 

What about you, have you had an encounter that changed everything for you? I have had many and believe I will have more while I am here on earth. I would like to share a recent one with you. I struggle with trust and being vulnerable. Recently, I was talking to my husband in a vulnerable manner and his response triggered a familiar attitude which was a domino effect in releasing a flow of negative emotions. Later my husband asked if I wanted to talk about it, my response was “No I don’t have any more to say.” He replied, “Are you in shutdown mode?” I replied, “Yes.” He replied, “Do you think that is a good idea?” I replied, “Yes, for me it is at this time.”   Normally when I go into my shutdown mode, I cut all communication with everyone and build an invisible protection around myself. In other words, I say nothing is wrong and keep everyone and everything surface level.

 

After sharing with God my anger, hurt, and irritation, pleading my case to justify my actions. He extended his grace to me and changed my perspective on my actions. My shutdown mode changed to a pause mode. See when you shutdown you cut off and stop everything without thinking. But when you pause, you freeze the moment giving you time to think about what you are going to do next. Whether you are going to rewind or go forward or both. I did both and after my encounter it change my perspective which allowed me not to be stuck or keep replaying the matter but to learn how to articulate my feelings and move forward.

 

I pray you have an encounter like Saul, that you too will experience God’s grace. An encounter that will change everything for you in life. Amen 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God’s Greatest Gift by Alicia Briscoe

Attitude of Gratitude by Alicia Briscoe

Don’t Quit, Reap Your Harvest! – by Alicia Briscoe