Change From the Inside-Out by Milo Briscoe

 Don’t become so well-adjusted to your culture that you fit into it without even thinking. Instead, fix your attention on God. You’ll be changed from the inside out. Romans 12:2 MSG

I love the Message version of this scripture because it makes it plan. Paul is writing to believers in Rome. He is cautioning them not to get so accustomed to the values and practices of the world that they fit in without even thinking about it.

Sometimes we can get so used to something, we cannot tell when it is no longer benefiting us. We start blending in so much it becomes second nature. We adjust to the environment we are in. When that happens, it is difficult to change.

Paul gives them an alternative. He tells them to replace the behavior of fitting in by fixing their minds on God. Paul understood it would take changing their thinking to avoid giving in to the culture or the worlds way of doing things. He also knew that if they did this, God would change them from the inside out.

Paul’s words are still applicable for us today. To avoid adjusting to the culture of the world we need to fix our attention on God. This is how it works for me. I started spending more time in His Word, especially in areas I find myself struggling, also spending time in prayer and meditation, and listening to biblical base teaching. I found when I opened myself to this process, God started an inside job, changing me from the inside out.

I challenge you to do an honest assessment. Are you well-adjusted to the culture of the world? If so, start now and fix your attention on God. He will start the change.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God’s Greatest Gift by Alicia Briscoe

Attitude of Gratitude by Alicia Briscoe

Don’t Quit, Reap Your Harvest! – by Alicia Briscoe