Gratitude the Core of Thankfulness by Milo Briscoe

 Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you who belong to Christ Jesus. 1Thessalonians 5:18 NLT

This verse of scripture has been in my face so much in the past few weeks, I had to write about how it has touched me. My wife used the same scripture a couple of weeks ago and I didn’t want to be redundant, but I had to use it again. I believe being thankful starts with a grateful heart. I’m learning to show gratitude by giving thanks in whatever situation I’m in. It is about my perspective. How do I see things?

I turned 60 years old this month, and that was one of those milestones that made me reflect. As I reflected, an overwhelming feeling of gratitude took over me. A part of that reflecting time was remembering the things I went through, (we all can go back there from time-to-time, right?). That feeling of gratitude prompted thanksgiving. I started thanking God for those circumstances, those challenging times. It was not always that way for me. There were times I didn’t see it that way, because being grateful was the furthest thing from my heart.

The turning point came when I truly opened myself up to the Holy Spirit. As He ministered to me, my heart changed, which changed my perspective. I started learning how to be grateful in the challenging times. I understand that challenges test my faith and produce endurance in me. So, when circumstances come, no matter what they are, I am thankful. Do not get me wrong, I am still developing. But I don’t think this would have ever taken place if it didn’t start from a grateful heart.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God’s Greatest Gift by Alicia Briscoe

Attitude of Gratitude by Alicia Briscoe

Don’t Quit, Reap Your Harvest! – by Alicia Briscoe