All I Have to Give by Alicia Briscoe

 Jesus sat down near the collection box in the Temple and watched as the crowds dropped in their money. Many rich people put in large amounts. Then a poor widow came and dropped in two small coins. Jesus called his disciples to him and said, “I tell you the truth, this poor widow has given more than all the others who are making contributions. For they gave a tiny part of their surplus, but she, poor as she is, has given everything she had to live on.” Mark 12:41-44 NLT

The story of a poor widow woman is great reminder about being a generous giver despite your circumstances. The woman in this scripture described as a poor widow instead of by her name did just that. I often wondered why in certain books of the bible the author chooses to be so descriptive of a person oppose to using their name. As I study the scriptures for understanding I realize that the description gives more depth of the evidence of the nature of God and allows you to see beyond the obvious.

Although this woman was poor and a widow, the nature of God she exemplified was a spirit of generosity. She did not allow her status or resources to deter her from giving all she had, and her action did not go unnoticed. The disciples were distracted by the crowds and large amounts of money being given. But Jesus was watching, and noticed the poor widow give all she had.

I can remember when the church was asking for pledges for a daycare center. Like the woman in this scripture, I was not going to allow being a single mom, barely making it paycheck to paycheck to hinder me from making a pledge. I pledge out of my lack and believe God for it. The bible says in I Samuel 16:7 - The Lord does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.” Jesus’ observation of both the poor widow and a poor single mom’s heart of generosity.

What about you, have you ever given all that you had or what you didn’t have? It could be time, energy, or resources for someone or something. You may have been like the poor widow woman and gave all you had to something or someone with a greater need. I can remember my spiritual father saying, “You can’t out give God.”  I believe if you don’t have enough to take care of your need give it to God and trust Him to take care of what you gave towards and what you need. Remember, generosity is not about your status or your resources but the condition of your heart.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God’s Greatest Gift by Alicia Briscoe

Don’t Quit, Reap Your Harvest! – by Alicia Briscoe

A Generous Mindset by Milo Briscoe