Beyond Adoption, I Am Chosen

Ephesians 1:4–5 gives us a powerful reminder: God chose us.

Before we understood our family story, God knew us.

Before we understood where we belonged, God had already made room for us in His family.

And before we could make sense of the pieces, He saw the entire picture. That changes the conversation.

Adoption can speak to family relationships, but spiritual adoption speaks to something even deeper: identity and belonging in Christ. The greatest sense of belonging isn't determined solely by biology or family structure.

There is a spiritual identity that reminds us:

I am chosen.

I am loved.

I belong.

My story has purpose.

That doesn't erase the difficult parts of our stories. It doesn't mean every experience was easy or that every unanswered question suddenly disappears. But it does mean that what may have felt incomplete does not have to define us. Sometimes we spend our lives looking for the piece that will complete our puzzle, only to discover that God was already holding it.

Perhaps the missing piece isn't another person.

Perhaps it isn't an explanation for everything that happened.

Perhaps it isn't even having the family story we once imagined.

Maybe the missing piece is understanding who we are in God.

God can bring meaning, identity, healing, and purpose from the pieces of our story.

The pieces may not always fit together the way we expected. But that doesn't mean the picture is incomplete. When I look back now, I can see that the pieces of my story matter. The pieces of my childhood. The strong women who influenced my life. Being raised by my grandmother. The questions surrounding my father. 

My adoption story.

My relationships.

My family.

My journey.

Each piece became part of the picture. What I once thought were broken pieces, God has shown me can become pieces of a bigger purpose. I may not have been able to choose how every piece was placed, but I can choose how I see the picture today. I am not defined by what was missing. I am not defined by the questions I couldn't answer.

I am not defined by a family structure that looked different from everyone else's.

I am chosen.

I am loved.

I belong.

My story has purpose.

And perhaps that is what it means to move beyond adoption.

It is discovering that my identity isn't simply found in who gave birth to me, who raised me, or how my family was formed.

My deepest identity is found in knowing that God chose me.

And when I finally understood that, I realized something: My puzzle piece wasn't missing after all. God was holding it.

What part of your family story have you struggled to understand, and how might seeing yourself as chosen and loved by God change the way you view that piece of your story?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God’s Greatest Gift by Alicia Briscoe

Change, An Intentional Process – by Milo Briscoe

Don’t Quit, Reap Your Harvest! – by Alicia Briscoe